Avon Tyres’ latest sports touring tyres – the Storm 3D X-M – have received rave reviews since launch at Castle Combe in May.
These new additions to the Avon Storm Ultra family of sports touring tyres are made in Britain and aimed at the hypersport motorcycle market. The Avon Storm 3D X-M takes the unique technology found in the 3D Ultra sports tyre family and uses it to create a sports touring tyre which also delivers higher mileage.
The Storm 3D X-M features interlocking three-dimensional points hidden in the tyre’s grooves, which improve stability, grip and warm-up times, while limiting tread flex. These latest advances in tyre technology are married to a high-performance single and multi-compound silica-rich tread which enhances wet grip.
The Storm 3D X-M gives superb handling and stability characteristics which are essential on today’s hyperbikes, such as the Suzuki GSX1300R Hayabusa, Kawasaki GTR1400 and Kawasaki ZZR1400. It can also transform the performance of older model hyperbikes, such as BMW’s K1300 series and Honda’s Super Blackbird.
The tyres were launched in the UK at Wiltshire’s fast and bumpy Castle Combe circuit where a number of motorcycle journalists had a chance to experience the Storm 3D X-M first-hand.
- Jon Urry, Journalist for Motor Cycle News: “Combe is a notoriously bumpy track: the tyre provided a remarkable level of grip, allowing the pegs to be dragged through the third gear off-camber corners. At the end of a continuous stint of over 30 fast laps, the rear began to slide when powering on in third gear, but for a tyre designed to last for 10,000-12,000 miles, that’s quite an achievement. The steering felt composed and the Storm provided good grip right from cold with impressive stability at speed.”
- Simon Roots, Editor of Fast Bikes magazine: “Old sports touring tyres used to slow the steering down loads, but Avon has resisted the temptation to do this and has produced a tyre that compromises little. There are plenty of heavy braking areas around Combe and the X-M let the Fazer go hard into a turn with the brakes still manfully slowing the bike up. After a session on my R1 on Avon’s 3D Ultra Xtremes my wrist wasn’t used to delicate throttle openings, but I needn’t have worried as the X-M provided a great level of grip and angles down to the peg. They also coped well with the bumps.”
- Alan Dowds, Editor of SuperBike magazine: “After a few laps I was pushing and the Storm X-Ms felt great and I was happy to push on right until the marshals waved end of play. These are a fantastic road tyre that works on the track too. If you’re looking to spend your hard-earned on something to keep you out of the fields then Avon’s got just what you need.”
- Stuart Barker, Freelance Journalist for RiDE magazine: “The X-Ms were perfectly competent for track use, even though they’re not designed for it. Back on normal roads and heading for home the nicely scrubbed 3D X-Ms inspired enough confidence for some hard cornering and serious lean angles. The unexpected result of accepting Avon’s invitation was that I finally found a reason to rejoice in the BMW F800GT.”
- Mike Armitage, Road Test Editor from Bike magazine: “Low-speed handling is the Yamaha’s weakness. Steering is weight at low-speed manoeuvres and the bars need constant pressure to maintain course. Or that’s how it was. Avon’s new Storm 3D X-M make the most significant difference I’ve ever experienced from changing tyres. Steering is lighter and more responsive. Agility is enhanced at all speeds, without a loss of stability. Trendy 3D sipes give sure-footed confidence in soggy conditions.”
- Richard Ashcroft, Website Contributor for Rescogs.com: “I used Avon’s test bike to experience the 3D Storm X-Ms. I thought I’d take it easy on these touring tyres, but after getting overtaken by people on the same tyre, I moved it up a gear. The Storm X-Ms took it and I felt firmly attached to the track. I am going to get a pair of these for my own Honda Blackbird. With a tyre life of over 10,000 miles they sound good to me!”
Doug Ross, Head of Global Motorcycle Tyre Sales for Avon Tyres, said, “The reaction of those important members of the media who attended our launch event gave us some excellent feedback. In fact, so good was some of the commentary that selected journalists have requested the X-Ms on their long-term project bikes, all of which is very rewarding for us at Avon. We have worked hard to create a new product that marries stable handling characteristics and durability, two things at the forefront of any motorcyclist’s mind when selecting new rubber. To have such glowingly positive feedback about a product in a crowded and competitive market from our knowledgeable media is extremely satisfying.”
The Avon Storm 3D X-M is available now in sizes 120/70-ZR17 (front) and 180/55-ZR17 and 190/50-ZR17 (rear).